How to be more visible to local search
Get your location in the title of your home page
If you don't know how to do this - shout me
Pay for a tool that gets your local data out to the major US data aggregators
Many of you might recognize names like Yext ($499 a year) or Do-It-Yourself ($346 a year) and yes they're bloody good at what they do - but if you want a quick easy entry to this world at just $49 a year, check out Moz Local
It's made by one the most open and effective companies in the SEO world and I highly recommend it.
Sort out your Google+ page
Google are finally getting their act together when it comes to business pages. Yes it's been messy in the past but there's a new interface and it actually makes sense. It's now call Google My Business and here's what you should do today:
- Log into your Gmail account
- Click the +YourName link on the top right of the screen - this takes you to your G+ page
- Underneath the Google logo on the top left of the page, click the home button and a drop down menu appears - click on pages
- You should now see your business page - select it and you'll arrive on the new Google My Business dashboard
- Follow the instructions - add photos - check your address and phone number (you might need to be verified first but they can now do that over the phone!)
- If you don't have a page - maybe you should. Get in touch if you'd like some help.
As with any other social network you'll need to be active in order to really get the benefits, so a nice easy win is to write reviews of other local businesses as your G+ page.
Seriously - this is a great idea! If your business frequents the local coffee shop and they're on G+ - write a review - same with the local dry cleaners, market, car wash, etc. The more reviews you write - the more visible you are and the more likely it is others will review you - and yes - reviews are good!
Check out Bing
Once you've got Google up and running check out Bing's version:
There. That should keep you busy for a while.
If you've got questions - you know what to do.